Below you will find a step-by-step description of the process for getting into housing with AMHA. Follow these steps and start your journey toward a new home.
1. Eligibility is different, depending on the housing program/location. However, ALL applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Pass a Criminal Background Screening
- All previous balances owed to AMHA must be paid in full
- Applicant must meet HUD-established income limits. These can be viewed online.
3. Collect the names, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, and incomes for each member of your household.
4. Complete an on-line application at www.akronhousing.org, or at any “Apply Here” link on the web-site. Be sure to request all wait lists that you have identified in your earlier review of our programs to ensure that you have the best possible opportunity for housing.
5. Once you have submitted the preliminary application online, you will be provided with a confirmation number as proof of the date and time of your application.
6. You will be placed on the requested waiting lists, which use Local Preference Points and date/time of application to determine your place in the list.
7. You can check your application status by calling 330-252-9284. You will need your social security number to use this automated system.
8. Once your name nears the top of one or more wait list, you will receive a letter in the mail requesting your attendance at an Eligibility Determination Interview. This letter will include a list of information that you will be required to provide, as well as a date and time of your appointment. All adult household members will be required to attend this appointment.
9. On the date of your interview, AMHA staff will ask you to complete required forms and collect information that will allow us to determine your eligibility for housing.
10. Typically within a month of your interview you will receive a letter in the mail that describes AMHA’s decision regarding your eligibility. If you are found ineligible you will be given the right to appeal. If you are found eligible, your wait list status will be updated, and your application will be kept on file until a suitable unit is available.