Housing Rights for People With Disabilities

Did You Know ...

Did you know… Federal and Ohio laws provide that qualified individuals with disabilities shall not be discriminated against and shall be assured an equal opportunity to participate in the housing programs, activities, and services offered by the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority (AMHA). If you or another household member are a qualified person with a disability, you have the right and opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification at any time during your participation in AMHA programs. Some examples of reasonable accommodations or modifications:

  • A change in AMHA policies and procedures. For example, a participant in the Housing Choice Voucher Program who is disabled requests to complete the annual re-examination appointments by mail.
  • A change in location. For example, a resident with a disability residing in an AMHA owned and operated property requests a transfer to a wheelchair-accessible unit.
  • A repair or change in your apartment. For example, a resident with a disability residing in an AMHA owned and operated property requests grab bars in the bathroom.

Who can submit a request for reasonable accommodation or modification?

  • Any individual with a disability, or his/her designee, participating in any AMHA program can submit a request.
  • If a request for accommodation/modification is for a household member under the age of 18, the parent/legal guardian can submit a request.

How do I request a reasonable accommodation or modification?

  • While requests for accommodations can be submitted in any format (e.g. verbal request or written request), AMHA has developed the Request for Reasonable Accommodation and Authorization for Release of Information form so that your request can be evaluated efficiently. 
  • You may submit the request form here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/4e6ef9ac09384e6ab5e9b66888787c33. (Please note: If you are not a current AMHA resident/participant and have not applied for any AMHA housing programs, you may do so here:  https://ohakron.tenmast.com/apply/
  • The Request for Reasonable Accommodation and Authorization for Release of Information form can also be provided by the AMHA staff person you have contact with or by contacting the RA Coordinator at 330-376-9788 or 330-762-9631. Alternative means of requesting reasonable accommodations can be arranged upon request.

What happens after I submit a request?

  • Your request is evaluated by the Reasonable Accommodation committee.
  • The evaluation of requests is an interactive process which may include written, telephone or personal consultation with you, your medical professional, and/or your designee.
  • All requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. An accommodation must be both reasonable and have an identifiable and substantial relationship to the individual's disability. In determining whether a request for accommodation is reasonable, the following questions will be considered:
    • Is there an identifiable relationship or nexus between the request and disability?
    • Is an alternative accommodation possible?
    • Does the request pose a direct threat to others?
    • Is the request a fundamental alteration of the nature of AMHA services and/or programs?
    • Does the request pose an undue financial and administrative burden?
  • If additional information or verification of disability-related information is needed, including additional medical verification, you will be contacted to discuss your request.
  • AMHA will provide the decision in writing or, where appropriate, in another format accessible to the individual requesting the accommodation. If you wish to appeal the decision, you may do so, in writing, within fourteen (14) working days from the date the decision letter was sent to you.
  • For questions, contact the AMHA RA Coordinator at 330-376-9788 or 330-762-9631 (Ohio Relay: 1-800-750-0750 TTY/TTD) or 100 West Cedar Street, Akron, Ohio 44307.